Copywriting to shorten marketing messages
Our team brings you the news about our economy that requires intensive investigation, providing an important resource for Kiwis who want to make well-informed financial decisions. Your contribution fuels our capacity to provide independent reporting & analysis, while also keeping our site open for comments & community engagement.
A case study – the client supplied the text at the top.
It was from a popup on their website. But the display required the prospect to scroll to read it all.
I re-wrote the copy into two versions so they did not have the scroll bar appear and also to give a slightly different emphasis on the messaging.
Rewrite copy version 1
Our reputation is built on expert news reporting on the NZ economy. We are an important resource for Kiwis making well-
informed financial decisions. By paying to support us, you’re ensuring we continue to be an independent, powerful media site where our analysis and your commentary builds a robust community of interest.
- Shortening New Zealand to NZ is not my preferred way of writing, but suits this situation.
- The focus on expert news is secondary to the informed financial decisions
- Strong adjectives and a clear expectation of what the outcome will be
Rewrite copy version 2
We specialise in news about the NZ economy which takes intensive investigation and journalist resource. Our reputation is built on helping Kiwis make well-informed financial decisions. Your support means we can continue independent reporting, expert analysis, and enables moderated commenting on the website.
- The focus is on the quality of journalism comes first
- The reader’s desire for decision-making secondary (at this time of Covid19 – most are reading news pages)
- Many like the ability to comment. Many news sites have withdrawn this feature.