What are the key essentials for promoting and marketing a podcast to grow listeners so you can improve monetisation? This article runs through some of the fundamentals and also asks some important questions so you can find out if a podcast is the right marketing tactic for your brand.
Brand suitability for podcast marketing
Here are some simple questions for you to review before deciding to start a podcast.
- Who is the target audience?
- Are they are already listening to podcasts?
- What does your brand want to get out of the podcast (leads, brand awareness, thought leadership etc)
- Which channels to market do you already use?
- What headcount / analytics are in each of the existing channels?
- What will success look like?
These are all questions worthy of a full day workshop. Now, assuming you have robust answers to each of them, let’s dig into the tactics suitable for marketing a podcast.
Podcast marketing tactics
- Cross-promote through all existing channels controlled by the brand
- Select guests who have a large audience on the understanding they will cross-promote
- Add listeners by adding podcast into existing marketing tactics e.g. record a live episode at a trade show / a conference stage
- Get other podcasters to do a mutual episode with each broadcasting the same episode to their feeds
- Record in video and audio so you can use YouTube as a distribution channel
- Use clips and short video as content for social sharing
- Run campaigns which include the podcast e.g. contests where you have to listen to find out how to enter
- Use the podcast shownotes on your website and blog as SEO