We pitched a client – we didn’t win. And so I decided to show you all how we assessed their website in scoping out the work that is needed to improve the search engine optimisation for this company.
They offer a local service and have two principal products.
First impressions of the website
Summary areas for improvement
- Both the named services should be in your meta description
- The Headings structure needs adjusting so it includes H1 as well as H3 (currently all 4 are H2 which is not good)
- Change the SSL certificate from BlueHost to your own business name
- Incoming links are low – so we’d recommend getting local directory listings to improve this (there are 36 free ones)
- You should be on Google My Business as well because that will enable Reviews and a location pin to appear when people search
Improve website messaging
- Strapline. The name of the business does not describe what you do [I also provide sensational services – but of a different type]
- Pearl Waterless is a strong point of difference for one of the services – but you don’t EXPLAIN it.
- Plus it’s a “Green” product and you could be selling the environmental benefits.
- One service page does not have any heading titles, it doesn’t have any testimonials and it doesn’t explain that you offer a mobile service
- The other service page has a gigantic photo and doesn’t explain the service in detail compared to the other service page. They should be similar – consistency matters.
- You have a Facebook page but there’s no link to it on the site. 42 people have shared your website onto Facebook – but you aren’t tracking links like this.
- Have you got any customer testimonials?
- Have you got any photos of your ACTUAL Team doing the work?
- Any funny stories to tell about your jobs? What about the Facebook photos you share – the team celebration – could these go on a blog on the website too?