Using Wikipedia and Quora for marketing
I recently got asked about whether Wikipedia is good for marketing. It’s a high traffic website from where backlinks could be valuable.
If you do create Wikipedia entries be aware that there are rules about businesses on the platform.
The recent history of Marketing on Wikipedia
A lot of PR agencies got publicly burned while trying to promote their clients there.
Which led to Wikipedia publishing this.
And check out the PR institute rules in the UK which followed.
Basically, don’t expect this to be an amazing source of new business.
However, I have an other option to offer you which may work.
5 Quora tips for marketing
Answering questions around your topic of expertise and interest and inspiration is definitely somewhere you can shine. It’s not open source, so nobody can edit your submissions and you can get upvoted and become an “expert” on the platform quite quickly.
The key is to start in an established niche where you are confident.
Here are 5 easy tips on writing Quora replies with a marketing slant.
- Read all the other answers first and upvote / or reference good parts which you agree with
- Then add your own slant which is hopefully something not already mentioned
- Find something in your own published content which could be linked from your answer and which adds more detail. This is key because a skim reader won’t follow the link, but someone who is really interested will click to follow and land on your site. So you filter out the tyre kickers quickly.
- If you haven’t already got something you can use from your own content write it now. Write it on your website / blog, publish it, and link it inside your Quora answer before you hit save in Quora.
- Use the GA campaign link tool so you can identify traffic from that article link.
- All Quora links are nofollow but real people will click on them – so they give you customers instead of immediate SERP rank juice.
- Tick the box to follow the answers and get alerted when someone else joins the thread so you can come back in later if you need.
Now what’s stopping you?
Oh, and if you came here from Manaaki – welcome. You’re following exactly the technique I recommend for use on Quora.
And you can use this technique on other forums relevant to your niche. I have three which send me traffic and build my profile as an expert in new business development.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!